Sunday 21 August 2011

Exercise 2: Story 2


 DESIDERIUM
A lonely man, struggling for life, working for his personal hell, found what hatred has taken from his life.

9.00 AM
Torture begins.
I’m here surrounded by these dreadful sounds of shrieking lactose-dependent weaklings.
It’s never my preference to even look at this place, yet here I am, earning every penny from wiping the streets of this amusement park.
They said that this is where the magic begins.
Not for me.

12:00 PM
It’s noon now; too much heat for me to handle.
More kids. What a nuisance.
What is so bloody great about “It’s A Small World” anyway?
It’s only a bunch of scary dolls. Gives me the creeps.
And, for the love of God, why do I have to always, always lose this freaking pendant? My father - God bless his soul – must be crying in heaven right now.

12:30 PM
Still no sign of it… Hey wait a second - what’s that shiny thing? There it is!

12:35 PM
I am losing it. I lost it.
How could he do this to me?
This little runt is just brilliant. Kicking THE ONLY THING LEFT that reminds me of father to that railway just when the tram is about to come!
He destroyed it. And now I have to help him find his parents.
After what he’s done!
Curse this lame employee-pin-pointing-uniform!

13:12 PM
Name’s Marlowe.
Peculiar 8 years old – the same age as I when father died.
It’s already 40 minutes now, we’ve searched but they’re nowhere in sight.
It hurts me to really look at this place.
There’s the bench where we used to sit every June while we’re waiting for mom to bring us ice cream.. and there’s Space Mountain, our favorite ride.
Blimey, kid! Why do you have to lead me through all these?

13:23 PM
Why is he being more and more similar to my dad?
He throws a quick smile after every sentence, and he has father’s brown eyes and chestnut hair too..

13:24 PM
We passed the Columbian Ship where dad took a picture of us every year to compare how much we’ve grown together.
Sigh..
It’s funny how my past flashes into my eyes so easily now, considering that one and a half hours past, the only thing that clings me to these memories, after mom left me, was just a tiny gold-emblazoned pendant that now is no more..

13:30 PM
I began to enjoy this company.
Weird.
I hated children.
A child traded father’s life for his.
He made father fell.
It was his fault.
He thought he could fly? Oh please.
But this kid.. He’s different.
He’s so warm.. The warmest person I’ve ever met since father died.
No..
He was the only one.
I clutched his hands tighter this time.

14:00 PM
We found them.
Ah.. They look so happy together.
Did we look that way 50 years back, father?
I keep thinking about that while watching their backs, after heaps of gratitude and happy tears.
I shed some too.

14:01 PM
Marlowe? He’s back!
Seeing his little feet marching towards me..
What’s this feeling?
The feeling of an embrace.
I forgot that long ago.
“Thank you, Mr. Sweeps..”
Those four words, whispered to my ears..
They made me realize..
This is what I’ve lost all these years.
My memories.
My love.
My friends.
My hatred and loneliness confined me from the world.
I forgot what’s important.
He died a good man, my father.
He died because of love.
And I know he wants me to do the same.
Give love.
Is that why You took him early, God?
I bet You did.


Brainstorm Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment