Saturday 10 September 2011

Exercise 2: Story 5


Betrapped

Being trapped doesn’t always mean that it is the end for you.

I am a daddy’s girl, and he is a mommy’s boy.
Here we are, stuck in this bloody elevator.
In a perfect timing, I should add, since we’ve not been talking for this past few weeks.

We have a history.
We’ve known each other our whole lives.
We never grew apart, and we used to think that we never will..
Until that day when he chose to leave me because his mom told him to switch schools.
She said we’ve been fooling around too much, and I was the reason why his grades dropped.
So unfair.
It’s our decision to be fools.
Why did he act like he’s the victim in all this?
Why did he agree to move? Doesn’t that confirm that all of it was my bad?
What a good friend you are, Josh..
There goes ‘us’.
We became strangers, again.

Panic.
It was the first thing that comes to my mind.
Why the bloody hell do I have to take this elevator?
It already sucks when I realized that someone was inside there first. How can this day be worse? Getting trapped with that person counts.
I want to scream but I held my voice.
I tried to push all the buttons and I flung my cellphone to various directions, hoping to catch a signal.
I was busy for a minute there and then, I realized that he’s trying to use the emergency phone.
We stared at each other in panic.
A part of me wants him to comfort me, but my pride says no.
I threw a quick glare at him and looked another way.
And then, there was the most awkward silence ever shared between us.

After 10 minutes, I heard something I longed to hear and something I loathe at the same time.
“I think we should wait for them to find us.”
Josh.
That voice.
“I-I dialed the emergency number and w-we’re on camera so it’s fine.”
Awkward.
At last, I gave up and say, “Obviously.”
“By the way, how are you Brit?”

I don’t have any other option.
He knew I’m scared of small rooms.
I need to talk or else I’ll faint.
“I-I’m fine.. How’s it going for you?”

“It’s not what you think it was, Brit.”
“But you agreed to move, why?”
“It’s done so that I can be better, and Mom will believe in me again.. I’m moving for us.. I miss being with you.”

I was shy and he was afraid.
But in 20 minutes, we became friends, again.

3 hours had passed, and I’m starting to feel cold.
The air conditioner there was freezing.
“We have to get warm. Here, take my jacket.”
I can feel his cold hands wrapping the jacket around me.
“I’ll protect you.”
Then Josh stood up and reached the emergency phone for the 20th time.

I didn’t remember a thing after that.
I must’ve been asleep.
But here I am now after 6 excruciating hours of being trapped.
We’re saved.

I never liked being trapped. Never been, never will.
But this is an experience of a lifetime, and I got him back.
We have a history.
We’ve known each other our whole lives.
We never grew apart.
Never been, never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment